William A. McDill was a soldier, school teacher, author and editor. He was born in 1913 in Winnipeg MB, and raised and educated there attending the University of Manitoba and the Manitoba Provincial Normal School. He worked as a schoolmaster in the Technical Branch of the Winnipeg Public School System from 1933 until 1939, receiving a B. Ed from Colorado A&M College in 1938. He married Dorothy Sarah Wilkinson, a schoolteacher, in 1939.
In 1939, McDill was commissioned into the Royal Canadian Engineers Corps and served in England and Northwest Europe World War II between 1940 and 1945, commanding 29 Fd Coy. After the War, McDill attended the Faculty of Applied Science at UBC and received a B.A. in 1947 and a B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering in 1948. He went on to receive an M. Ed from Colorado A&M College.
McDill re-enlisted and served in the Canadian Army from 1948 to 1965. He attended the Royal Military College of Science in England from 1951-1953. He retired as a Major.
With Col. A.J. Kerry, MacDill co-wrote The History of the Corps of Royal Canadian Engineers, a two-volume work published in 1962 and 1966. In 1965, he became the Assistant General Secretary at the Engineering Institute of Canada where he served as manager of technical services before retiring in 1975. McDill died in July of 1989.