Col Anthony A. Humphreys, CD (Ret'd)

    • Col Anthony A. Humphreys, CD (Ret'd)
    • CME Badge
    • Col Anthony A. Humphreys, Sgt at Arms, BC Legislature

    We regret to advise of the death of Colonel Anthony Arthur Humphreys, CD (Ret'd) who passed away on 23 May 2008 in Victoria while recovering from heart bypass surgery.

    Born in 1938 in Australia, Tony immigrated to Canada with his parents and siblings in 1952. Upon graduation from North Vancouver High School, Tony joined the Canadian Army in 1956 and trained under the Regular Officer Training Plan while attending the University of British Columbia. Completing his studies in 1961, he commenced a 33-year career with the Canadian Military Engineers as a Troop Commander in 3 Field Squadron, RCE in Chilliwack, BC. This was followed by a two-year posting with Recruit Training Squadron in the Royal Canadian School of Military Engineering at Chilliwack.

    Tony then went to Tanzania, East Africa, for a year with the Canadian Armed Forces Advisory & Training Team as Company Commander and Engineer Staff Officer. Returning to Canada in 1967, Tony was Second-In-Command, 2 Field Squadron RCE, at Camp Gagetown, NB for a year before he was posted to 1 Airborne Engineer Squadron as its Second-In-Command. He was appointed Commanding Officer in 1969. After this tour, Tony proceeded to England to undertake staff training at the British Army Staff College, Camberley. Upon completion of this course, Tony was a Planning Staff Officer, Military Plans and Operations Division at National Defence Headquarters for a year before embarking on a one-year tour as Station Commander and Staff Officer with the United Nations Military Observer Group In India and Pakistan 1973 - 1974.

    Upon his return to Canada, Tony was appointed Officer Commanding Military Engineering Squadron at the Canadian Forces School of Military Engineering, 1975 - 1977. He then went back to NDHQ, Ottawa as Director of Property Records and Legal Services for a year before starting a four year appointment as Base Technical Services Officer, CFB Borden. He then returned to NDHQ in 1982 for a three-year assignment as Executive Officer to the Vice-Chief of the Defence Staff. In 1985 Tony was posted to Pacific Militia Area, Vancouver, first as Deputy Chief of Staff and, upon promotion to Colonel, as Chief of Staff until his retirement in 1989.

    In 1991 Tony accepted an appointment by the Legislative Assembly of British Columbia as Sergeant-at-Arms and was serving in that position at the time of his passing. Tony enjoyed sailing, spending many happy hours on his boat "Wombat" as well as passing on his sailing knowledge and life experience at the Sail and Life Training Society. Tony also enjoyed flying, receiving his private pilot license in 1963. In 1985 Tony and his foster-son Lucien flew "EMJ" across Canada. As well as other volunteer community work, for many years Tony was very active at the Anglican Christ Church Cathedral serving in a number of voluntary capacities.

    A memorial service will be held at 1:00pm on Monday 9 June 2008 at Christ Church Cathedral, 930 Burdett Avenue, Victoria, BC, with reception to follow at the Cathedral.