WO/Adj W.J. Adamczyk, CD

    • WO/Adj W.J. Adamczyk, CD

    After more than 39 years of loyal and dedicated service to the Canadian Armed Forces and the Canadian Military Engineers, WO Wayne Adamczyk will retire on 22 Sep 2020 at 17 Wing Winnipeg. Anecdotes, congratulatory messages, and pictures can be sent to Sgt Hickie: George.Hickie@forces.gc.ca.


    In July 1981, I joined the Canadian Forces in Hamilton, Ontario, as a Field Engineer. I completed basic training in Cornwallis, NS, and then went to beautiful Chilliwack, BC, for my QL3s. My first posting was to Valcartier, QC, where I served two years with 5 RGC.

    I returned to Chilliwack in 1984 to complete my Field Engineer QL5 course before marrying my wife, Dawn. We then moved to 4 CER in Lahr, West Germany, where we spent four great years.

    In 1988, we were posted to Comox, BC, where I was employed with Roads & Grounds. While in Comox, we had our first child, Jessica. At this time, I decided on a career change and remustered to RM tech. Once again, I was posted to Chilliwack, this time for my RM QL3 course. After completing my QL3 in 1991, I spent the next five years as an RM tech in Ottawa, ON. During this posting, we had our second child, a boy, Braeden. I also completed my RM QL5s.

    In 1996, we were on the move again, west to Edmonton, AB. I worked on the Base for four years in the Mech shop and then one year with 1 CER.

    In 2001, we moved back east to Petawawa, ON, where worked in the RM shop for three years. It was here that I was promoted to MCpl and consequently posted to the Mech Shop in Winnipeg, MB. Within the first few months, I was sent to complete the 6A course in Gagetown, NB, returning to Winnipeg before Christmas. In March of 2002, I was sent in a different direction - way up north to Alert as the BcoolO. I returned home six months later. During my time in Winnipeg, I received training on the arrestor gear resulting in seven trips to Inuvik, NWT, one of which lasted three months.

    In 2007, I was promoted to Sgt and posted IR to 1 ESU in Moncton, NB, working with 4 SET. While working with 4 SET, I completed a 3-month tour just outside of Kandahar working on Route Foster. After a year and a half in Moncton, I was reunited with my family in Winnipeg.

    In 2012, I joined 5 Brigade for another tour in Afghanistan, this time in the Kabul area. There, I mentored the local RM techs, returning to Canada in June of 2013.

    In 2014, I was promoted to WO and as a result, I was on my own again. This time, it was an IR posting to Shilo, MB, which was at least within driving distance of home. I worked in Shilo for one year in the contracts office and was finally posted back to Winnipeg in 2015. During my time in Winnipeg, I initially worked with the Mech shop, then with Planning and Contracts, where I’m currently working.

    Following retirement, my family and I plan to remain in Winnipeg where I aspire to joining the Contracts Cell as a civilian.