This is an update to an article printed about a year ago. Since that time additional names have been added to the list.
The Memory Project is a nationwide bilingual project that connects Veterans and Canadian forces personnel with the opportunity to share their stories with Canadians in classrooms and community forums. In addition to our speakers’ bureau, The Memory Project has created a record of Canada’s participation in various global conflicts, including the Second World War and Korean War, through oral interviews, digitised artefacts, and memorabilia.
The Memory Project is an initiative of Historica Canada and is made possible with generous funding from Canadian Heritage and Veterans Affairs Canada.
Historica Canada is the country’s largest organisation dedicated to enhancing awareness of Canada’s history and citizenship. For more information, visit Historica Canada.
Here is a list of interviews with Sapper veterans:
- Ronald "Andy" Anderson - - Canadian Parachute Battalion (ex- RCE)
- Stephen Albert “Steve” Bandurka - Engineers
- Jack Barry
- Ivar “Little Jesus” Bjerke 4th Fd Park Sqn
- Sapper Garnet Elias Bourgaize
- Frank Cramer, No. 1 Tunnelling Company, RCE
- Peter Chisholm 59th Fd Sqn
- John Clarkson 4th Fd (Air) Svy Coy
- Lally Robert “Jim” Finsten, RCE Construction Engineers (Artisan Coy)
- James Kitchener “Jim” Fox - RCE and RCAF
- Joseph Clorice “Joe” Gautreau 1st Cdn Para Bn (after the War, Mr. Gautreau served in the RCE in Korea and across Canada)
- James Victor “Vic” Johnson 57th Fd Sqn
- Art Lang 6th Fd Coy
- Harold Murray Lang, Field Security Sections
- Ted Lawson, 1st (Air) Field Survey Company
- Bill Ludlow 16th Fd Coy
- James Foch “Jim” McAvoy No. 1 Workshop and Park Company
- Malcolm MacConnell, RCAF
- Frederick Laing “Mac” McDonald 1st Bn RCE
- W. G. “Bill” Millhausen
- William Murray 4th Fd Park Sqn
- David Peat - Kiska
- Herb Francis Pragnell, RCE, PPCLI
- Norman E. Purcell - 6th Fd Coy
- Bill Tindall, Canadian Chief Engineering Works, 21st Army Group
- J. Norbert Todd - 16th Fd Coy
- Emmanuel Denis Piette - Canadian Railway Troops
- William Allan Douglas Yuill 23rd Fd Sqn