MWO Mike Budden, CD

    Mike joined the Canadian Forces on 29 October 1981 in Ottawa, on a dare from his mother, and subsequently went through Cornwallis N.S. on 13 November 1981. After graduating boot camp, he went to Kingston ON for the POET course. Having completed the basic POET course, he was course-loaded for 231 Heavy Radar Course as a possible technician. Having grown up on radar sites, Mike aspired to do something different, and was fortunate enough to be reassigned and course-loaded on the first available RM TQ 3 course in Chilliwack B.C. in July 1983.

    After graduating the course, then Sapper Budden was posted to Masset B.C. and after a quick 18 mths, was posted to Beaverlodge AB, a radar site, promoted Cpl, and back to Chilliwack for TQ5 course. It was only then that he realized that an RM tech’s primary tasking was support to radar installations.

    In July 87, Mike was posted to CFB Edmonton and remained there for 5 yrs, working various assignments within the RM Shop. In March 88, he went on his first UN tour, Op Danaca, and thoroughly enjoyed his tour and the experience.

    In the summer of 1992, he was promoted to MCpl and was posted to CFB Trenton ON, and worked in the RM shop. During the spring of ’93, he participated in Op Snowgoose, the cessation of Cdn operations in Cyprus. In the fall of ’94, it was back to Chilliwack to attend 6A course.

    In Jan 1995, Mike went to work within 86ASU until posting in 2001. It was during this time that he was primarily responsible for 3rd line maintenance for Aircraft Arresting Systems and countless deployments in support of CF-18 operations within Canada and the USA. During that timeframe, he was tasked with a six month tour to Alert, from Apr-Oct 96. In April 2000, Mike went on his second tour to Israel, as I/C RM Shop.

    In September 2001, Mike was lucky enough to get posted to 17 Wing Winnipeg, and quickly got tasked with Op Apollo, after 9/11, and went to U.A.E in Feb 02 on the ‘hotel tour’ to aid in maintenance and construction of Camp Mirage. After returning from tour, he worked in the Contracts cell until July 03 where he was promoted to Sgt, and posted to 9 Wing Gander, as CE Ops O for the next four years.

    In July 07 another posting was in order, with a promotion to WO, and off to 1ESU Moncton. Upon arrival there, he prepared for deployment to Afghanistan, and was part of Roto 5, from Feb-Sept 08. Mike thoroughly enjoyed his tour there, (other than when the Taliban blew a gaping hole in one of his construction projects and suicide bombing another) primarily working in project management and overseeing various construction projects.

    Mike was promoted to MWO in March 2010, and posted to DGME Ottawa in July 2011, proceeding on IR. Having seen the myriad of retirement messages, he tested the waters with a resume and subsequently secured a management position within the private sector, now well into his 30 day plan. While Ottawa is considered his home town, Mike and his wife Mary, along with their two dogs, Theo and Maggie, will be relocating to southern Ontario.

    Mike has had a memorable career as an RM tech, and was afforded the opportunity to travel to all points of our fair land, and abroad. He thoroughly enjoyed meeting and coming to know the most interesting characters the Construction Engineering Branch had to offer, to which he’ll surely miss. After 30+ years service to the Crown and essentially all of it to the Engineering Branch, Mike has reached the next juncture in his life, now considering quarterly or possibly semi-annual hair cuts, though some may think he has done that his whole career.