MGen/MGén K.G. Horgan, OMM, CD
After more than 35 years of loyal and dedicated service to the Canadian Armed Forces and the Canadian Military Engineers Branch, MGen Kevin Horgan, OMM, CD, will retire on 11 October 2022. A DwD will be held on 23 September 2022 from 14:30 hrs to 17:30 hrs in main dining room of the Army Officers’ Mess, 149 Somerset St, Ottawa, ON, K2P 0H7, 613-236-0186. The capacity limit of the Mess has been lifted but masks must be worn while moving and physical distancing (1 meter) remains in effect. If you wish to attend, please RSVP to Maj I. Creighton at CMEAdjtGMC@forces.gc.ca. Photos, anecdotes, and retirement wishes may also be sent to Maj I. Creighton at CMEAdjtGMC@forces.gc.ca.
The great adventure, conceived in the Lighthouse Pub in SaintYheJohn, NB, is coming to an end. Providing a full summary in thismessage is not possible but suffice to say that after 35 years of service, there have been more positive than negative aspects to my career. Of course, there have been the postings, the positions, and the promotions but more importantly, here are ten items I wish to highlight:
- Met and married my true love, who lived on the other side of the world but luckily worked in the same section of CFB Baden-Soellingen;
- With my wife, raised two exceptional children; • Lived in seven provinces and had the opportunity to travel across the country and around the globe;
- Learned Canada’s other official language (French) to a level that I would not have believed possible;
- Grew as a leader by being given great responsibility in difficult conditions;
- Was paid to play below-average ice and ball hockey;
- Best rank: Lieutenant in Baden; fire-proof with an endless budget in a highly operational setting;
- Coolest title: Chief Military Engineer and the title is very misleading unless you understand the role;
- Saddest day: 20 June 1988, accident at the Slesse Demolition Range at CFB Chilliwack; in memory of Joe, Dennis, Kevin, Kelly, Wade, and Bill and the impact on their families and those who were there that day; and,
- Greatest reward: Meeting amazing people from all corners of this great country and serving alongside them in this great adventure called the CAF!
Serving with all of you has been an honour and a pleasure.