Capt Edwin Forsyth ('Ed') Richardson (Ret’d)
We regret to advise that Captain Edwin Forsyth (`Ed`) Richardson (Ret’d) passed away peacefully at the Ottawa Hospital Civic Campus on 28 December 2012.
Born in Deer Island, NB, 1n 1927, Ed joined the Canadian Forces in 1947 and served a full 35-year career with the Canadian Military Engineers with the Army Survey Establishment and Mapping and Charting Establishment.
Completing his Group 1 Survey qualification in 1949, Ed worked as a photogrammetrist. Promoted to sergeant in 1951, he later additionally undertook studies at the University of Ottawa. He was promoted to Staff Sergeant in 1957, to Warrant Officer Class II in 1966, and he was commissioned as a Lieutenant in 1967. Shortly thereafter Ed became Second-in-Command of the Joint Operations Graphic Squadron. Promoted to Captain in October 1970, in 1971 he started a 2-year posting as the Canadian Exchange Officer with the Royal Australian Survey Corps in Bendigo, Victoria where he was employed with the Army Survey Regiment as Second-in-Command of the Topographic Squadron working on the Papua New Guinea mapping program. Returning to MCE, Ed was appointed OIC PhotoLithography in 1973, then OC Reproduction Division in 1974 and, finally, Program Management Officer. Ed retired from the Canadian Forces in July 1982.
A private family service will be held at a later date. In lieu of flowers, donations to the Heart Institute or the Heart and Stroke Foundation would be appreciated.